Delivered but Damaged
by Pastor Paul Getter | August 23, 2012
2 Samuel 4:3-4:4
DELIVERED BUT DAMAGED
II Samuel 4:3. And the Beerothites fled to Gittaim, and were sojourners there until this day.)
4. And Jonathan, Saul’s son, had a son that was lame of his feet. He was five years old when the tidings came of Saul and Jonathan out of Jezreel, and his nurse took him up, and fled: and it came to pass, as she made haste to flee, that he fell, and became lame. And his name was Mephibosheth.
We see in this passage of scripture the mention of one who’s name was Mephibosheth.
We see that he was entrusted into the care of an unnamed nurse. And in a time of haste, a time when the nurse was not thinking to clearly, when she was rushed in going to and fro. Mephibosheth was consequently dropped...
He was dropped by someone who should have been caring for him.
He was dropped by one who should have been the epitome and personification of LOVE!
He was dropped by one who fed him.
He was dropped by one who hugged him.
He was dropped by one who at times placed loving arms around him and
sung him songs to sleep.
He was dropped by one he TRUSTED!
HAS SOMEONE YOU LOVED AND EXPRESSED LOVE TO YOU EVER DROPPED YOU?
HAVE THEY EVER LEFT YOU HIGH AND DRY ALONE AND DISTRESSED?
YOU LOOKED TO THEM AND THEY DROPPED YOU!
YOU TRUSTED THEM AND THEY DROPPED YOU!
THEY HELD YOU CLOSE AND THEY DROPPED YOU!!
THEY FED YOU WITH ONE HAND AND SLAPPED YOU WITH THE OTHER HAND!
THEY HELD YOU AND CARESSED YOU AND SAID I LOVE YOU BUT THE WAY THEY CARESSED WAS FULL OF PERVERSION AND IN YOUR HEART YOU QUESTION IS THIS REALLY LOVE??
THEY SAID I LOVE YOU BUT THEIR ACTIONS SPOKE OF HATE AND ANGER!!
YOU WERE DROPPED BY THAT ONE WHO SHOULD HAVE BEEN HOLDING YOU!
AND NOT ONLY WERE YOU DROPPED BUT YOU WERE DAMAGED WHEN YOU WERE DROPPED AND FROM THAT POINT FORWARD YOU BEGAN TO WALK DIFFERENT.
THERE WAS EVIDENCE IN YOUR FUTURE ACTIONS THAT SOME POINT IN YOUR LIFE YOU WERE DROPPED.
YOUR RELATIONSHIPS CARRIED WITH THEM THE AFFECTS OF BEING DROPPED.
YOU CARRY THE INSECURITIES OF BEING DROPPED AGAIN
YOU CARRY THE PAIN OF THE PAST AND CANNOT FUNCTION IN THE PRESENT!!
BEING DROPPED LEAVES US WITH A NEGATIVE SELF-ESTEEM , A POOR REFLECTION OF OUR OWN VALUE!
BUT UNDERSTAND THE BIBLE CONSTANTLY AFFIRMS THE TEACHING OF SELF WORTH!
GENESIS 1:26 WE WERE MADE IN GOD’S IMAGE!
PSALM 8: 5. For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
6. Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:
HE LOVED US SO MUCH HE SAVED US!
WE ARE THE LIGHT
WE ARE THE SALT
HE LOVED US SO MUCH HE GAVE HIS ANGELS TO GUARD US
HIS SPIRIT TO GUIDE US
HIS WORD TO TEACH US!
HIS BLOOD TO SAVE US
THIS IS NOT PRIDE...PRIDE STOPS LEANING ON GOD!
WAYS YOU CAN INSTILL POOR SELF-ESTEEM IN YOUR CHILDREN
SETTING TOO HIGH OF EXPECTATIONS
NOT SHOWING ACCEPTANCE
36. Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37. Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38. This is the first and great commandment.
39. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
WE LOSE WHEN WE FALL INTO THE CYCLE OF HATING THOSE THAT HAVE DROPPED US- HOLDING UNFORGIVENESS
Matthew 5:43. Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
INSTEAD OF ADMITTING THE HURT WE THINK ABOUT IT AND PONDER
ANGER- ANGER BECOMES SO STRONG YOU FORGET THAT YOU’VE BEEN HURT
REVENGE- WHAT CAN I DO TO GET EVEN
ALWAYS DWELLING ON THE ISSUE
NEVER MOVING ON
NEVER GROWING UP
NEVER ALLOWING FORGIVENESS TO FLOW
THE MINDS ARE MANIPULATED BY THEIR FEELINGS
THEY ALLOW THE INITIAL HURT TO EVOLVE AND GROW INTO SOMETHING LARGER THAN THEY CAN HOLD
ONE LEVEL HIDES THE NEXT
A PERSON THAT DOESN’T THINK WELL OF THEMSELVES WILL EVENTUALLY BEGIN TO CRITICIZE OTHERS!!
PROVERBS 26:24. He that hateth dissembleth with his lips, and layeth up deceit within him;
PUSHING OTHERS DOWN-MAKES THOSE WHO ARE DOWN FEEL AS IF THEY ARE GREATER
ILLUSTRATE THIS PRINCIPLE
YOU ARE NEVER GIVEN AUTHORITY TO CRITICIZE EVEN THOSE WHO HAVE DONE YOU WRONG
EVEN THOSE THAT HATE YOU
EVEN THOSE THAT CRITICIZE YOU
EVEN THOSE THAT GOSSIP ABOUT YOU
MEPHIBOSHETH- FOUND AT THE KINGS TABLE
II SAMUEL 9:11. Then said Ziba unto the king, According to all that my lord the king hath commanded his servant, so shall thy servant do. As for Mephibosheth, said the king, he shall eat at my table, as one of the king’s sons.
12. And Mephibosheth had a young son, whose name was Micha. And all that dwelt in the house of Ziba were servants unto Mephibosheth.
13. So Mephibosheth dwelt in Jerusalem: for he did eat continually at the king’s table; and was lame on both his feet.
New Life Apostolic Church- Naples, FL